top of page

Michael Penix Jr. Cleared: Is the Falcons QB Job Still Open?

Yes—the Atlanta Falcons’ quarterback job is still open. Michael Penix Jr. has been fully cleared for 11-on-11 practice, which finally lets him compete with Tua Tagovailoa in the team periods that matter most. The clearance is a major medical and football checkpoint. It is not a starting-quarterback announcement, and it does not guarantee Penix will play in the preseason finale.

The distinction matters. Atlanta had called this an open competition, but Penix could participate only in individual work and 7-on-7 drills. That made the evaluation uneven. Beginning Monday, coaches can compare both quarterbacks against a real pass rush, with a full protection plan, live run-action mechanics and all 22 players shaping the play.

What is confirmed about Michael Penix Jr.?

The Falcons announced on August 22 that Penix received the green light after meeting with his doctor. Head coach Kevin Stefanski said Penix will practice Monday in full-team periods. Until this point, Penix had taken part throughout camp but was not cleared for contact or 11-on-11 work.

Penix underwent surgery after tearing his ACL in November 2025. Atlanta said in its July 29 training-camp update that he had been cleared to throw in March and could handle individual and 7-on-7 drills, but not team periods. The new decision closes that medical restriction. Reuters also confirmed the Monday return and continuing competition after Atlanta’s 34-6 preseason win over Indianapolis.

The clearance timeline

Timeline of Michael Penix Jr. progressing from November 2025 knee surgery to full 11-on-11 clearance on August 22, 2026.
Football Nation original graphic. Team updates confirm each clearance checkpoint; Monday practice is the first scheduled full-team test.

Checkpoint

Confirmed status

What it allowed

November 2025

Knee surgery after ACL tear

Rehabilitation begins

March 2026

Cleared to throw

Passing and controlled field work

July 29, 2026

Not cleared for team drills

Individual and 7-on-7 work only

August 22, 2026

Cleared for 11-on-11

Full-team periods beginning Monday

Sources: Atlanta Falcons updates published July 29 and August 22, 2026. The March throwing clearance was restated by the team in its July report.

Why 11-on-11 changes the Falcons QB battle

Seven-on-seven can test timing, accuracy and coverage recognition, but it removes the offensive and defensive lines. Eleven-on-eleven adds protection calls, edge pressure, interior movement, run fakes and scramble-lane decisions. Those are critical for a quarterback coming off knee surgery and for an offense installing a new system.

It also lets the staff assess the mental parts of the job in their proper context. The quarterback must manage the helmet-radio communication window, identify pressure, make an audible when the look demands it and set protection—including the familiar task of pointing out the Mike linebacker. None of those jobs can be evaluated fully in a drill without a pass rush.

For Penix, this is the first chance to turn encouraging rehab work into directly comparable team tape. The older Football Nation Penix injury and QB1 analysis correctly treated full clearance as the missing checkpoint. That checkpoint has now arrived.

What the clearance does not decide

Medical clearance answers whether Penix may participate. It does not answer whether he is immediately sharp, whether his knee responds well to a full practice workload or whether Atlanta trusts him most for Week 1. Stefanski confirmed the competition in March, and the club has not reversed that position with a QB1 announcement.

Tua has the advantage of having already taken team and preseason snaps. Football Nation’s breakdown of his planned preseason-opening start showed why a tiny exhibition sample could not settle the job. Penix now faces the same rule: one good practice or one series would be evidence, not a verdict.

The recovery comparison also needs discipline. Bo Nix’s return from ankle surgery offered another reminder that passing a medical test and reclaiming game rhythm are separate steps. Penix’s first question is no longer availability. It is performance under full-team conditions.

Could Penix play in the preseason finale?

Possibly, but that is not confirmed. Atlanta’s final exhibition is Friday at Miami. The staff first needs to see how Penix handles Monday’s work and how his knee responds afterward. If he progresses without a setback, game reps would provide valuable evidence. If Atlanta holds him out, that would not automatically mean the clearance changed; it could simply reflect workload management before the regular season.

The club also has Cooper Rush and Jack Strand in the room, and roster construction matters beyond the starter. Football Nation’s guide to the NFL emergency third-quarterback rule explains why teams evaluate the full depth chart differently from a normal two-player competition.

The next factual checkpoint

Monday’s practice is the next meaningful checkpoint. Watch for Penix’s share of first-team reps, his movement under pressure, whether Atlanta rotates the quarterbacks evenly and—most importantly—whether he returns for the next practice without restriction. After that, Stefanski’s plan for Friday at Miami will reveal how much game evidence the team still wants before naming a starter.

Football Nation takeaway

Penix’s clearance makes the Falcons’ quarterback competition real in a way it could not be while he was limited. It strengthens his path to QB1, but it does not put him ahead of Tua by itself. Treat Monday as the start of the decisive evaluation, not the end of it. The cleanest answer today is simple: Penix is medically in the race; Atlanta still has to decide who wins it.

Comments


bottom of page